International Scholarships to Study in the US: There are several ways to get money for your studies in the US, even though it is well known that it is one of the most costly countries to pursue higher education.
You won’t be qualified for financing meant exclusively for citizens of the US if you’re an international student.
The number of overseas scholarships to study in the US has increased, nevertheless, as US universities place a higher priority on internationalization.
Additionally, several US universities admit international students without regard to financial necessity.
The scholarships listed below are available to international students and are supported by various sources, including the US government, private foundations, and individual universities.
Regarding your applications, good luck!
Government-funded scholarships in the US for non-US citizens
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program: The Fulbright Program offers scholarships for graduate students, young professionals, and artists to study in the US for one year or more. It may be the most well-known government-funded US scholarship program for overseas students.
Open to international students in all disciplines except medicine.
- Hubert Humphrey Fellowship Program: This is a non-degree scholarship program for seasoned professionals from abroad who want to spend ten months studying in the US.
Students can study and advance their knowledge at academic institutions across the country even though the money does not support degree qualifications.
Non-governmental US scholarships for international students
- #YouAreWelcomeHere Scholarship : International scholarships are available to any international students enrolled in any course at a US institution or university that participates (of which there are 57).
You could submit an essay or a video to show your enthusiasm and effort for fostering international learning and interaction.
(The application deadline for Fall 2019 enrollment has passed; in May 2019, applications will be accepted for the 2020 round.)
- Civil Society Leadership Awards : Fully-funded scholarships are available for students from eligible countries to study in the US or another host country at master’s level.
- David P. Shapiro Autism Scholarship : A scholarship worth US$1,000 open to current or prospective students in the US diagnosed with autism.
- Preply Scholarship : A prize of up to $2,000 will be given to the top three winners.
Open to all college students, domestic and foreign, at any academic level and between the ages of 16 and 35.
You must submit a 500-word essay on professional growth, multilingualism, and online education to be considered.
- Surfshark Privacy and Security Scholarship : A student presently enrolled as a high school, undergraduate, or graduate student in the US or another study destination is eligible to win a $2,000 reward.
All nationalities may apply for the scholarship, but you must submit an essay.
- Tortuga Backpacks Study Abroad Scholarship : Awarded twice a year to passionate international students wishing to study in the US. Worth US$1,000.
For Asian Students
- East-West Center Scholarships and Fellowships : Scholarships for overseas students from Asia-Pacific to study in the US at specific universities.
- Japan-United States Friendship Commission : This commission, a joint project between the US and Japan, provides financial programs for Japanese students who want to study in the US (and vice versa).
- Wesleyan Freeman Asian Scholarship Program : Scholarships for 11 exceptional Asian students to study in the US at Wesleyan University in Connecticut. Covers the full cost of tuition and student fees.
For Australian Students
- Fulbright Program : Australian citizens can apply for scholarships from the Australian-American Fulbright Commission at any point in their careers.
Awardees engage in academic and cultural exchange activities by conducting research or studying at a U.S. university, traveling, and experiencing life abroad before returning to Australia and imparting what they learned to their communities there.
- AAUW International Fellowships : Female international students can apply for fellowships from the American Association of University Women to study in the US.
- Bat and Ball Game Women’s Sports Scholarship : A $1,000 award is available to women enrolled in US university programs with a focus on sports.
- MIT-Zaragoza Women in Logistics and SCM Scholarship : US financial aid is available for female students at the Zaragoza Logistics Center at MIT of any age, ethnicity, or nationality.
For Graduate Students
Rotary Peace Fellowships : Scholarships for master’s degree students attending one of Rotary’s Peace Centers to study in the US (such as at Duke University or the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill).
For Students From Developing Countries
- Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Programme : Scholarships for postgraduate international students hailing from countries in Africa.
- MasterCard Foundation Scholarships : Scholarships for African students to study in the US and Africa.
- For more scholarships for students from developing regions, visit this listing.
US grants for international students that are unique to universities
- American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship : Scholarships for undergraduate education at American University in Washington, DC. They are geared toward international students who have the makings of future leaders.
- Brandeis University Wien International Scholarship Program : High-achieving students interested in giving back to their communities can apply for funding.
- Clark University Global Scholars Program : First-year international students are eligible for scholarships of no less than US$10,000 and a $2,500 guaranteed taxable stipend for a paid internship.
- Emory University Needs-Based Scholarship Program : Funding options at Emory University for international students.
Students must show that they have the financial necessity.
- Harvard University Scholarships : For students from all over the world, Harvard offers a variety of (very competitive) international scholarships.
- Illinois State University International Awards : Illinois State offers tuition waivers, merit awards and graduate assistantships to incoming international students.
- Iowa State University International Merit Scholarships : Merit-based scholarship program for high-achieving international students.
- Michigan State University International Scholarships : Various grants and scholarships for international students to study in the US at MSU.
- New York University Wagner International Scholarships : US financial aid is available for studies at the NYU Wagner Graduate School of Public Service.
- University of Arkansas International Scholarships : Funding options for overseas students from various nations and backgrounds.
- University of Iowa Scholarships for International First Year Students : For overseas students beginning their first year in the fall of 2017.Scholarships at the University of Iowa for First-Year International Students
- University of Minnesota International Scholarships : Offers a Global Excellence Scholarship, as well as the #YouAreWelcomeHere Scholarship, a renewable scholarship which offers $15,000 per year.