Winter Maintenance Driver Needed in UK:
Salary: £18.93 an hour
Job type: Temporary contract
Full Job Description
LGV (HGV) Drivers wanted for Winter Maintenance Service
HOURS: Part-time or Full time
LOCATIONS: ACROSS NORTH YORKSHIRE INCLUDING WHITBY: PICKERING: BOROUGHBRIDGE: SKIPTON
About The Role:
We seek LGV (HGV) Drivers to join our winter maintenance crew, headquartered at several depots in your neighborhood in North Yorkshire.
One of the most significant services NY Highways offers to the communities of North Yorkshire is winter maintenance.
We must keep as many routes as possible throughout the county during the winter.
To do this, we offer a service that runs several routes around the county twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.
Not all heroes wear capes; in Highways, we wear High Vis! During the winter, we have many drivers who return every year because they find the work satisfying and can fit it in around their other commitments!
You must be available to work a minimum of three weekly shifts while working on a rota.
There are several ways you can join our winter maintenance team depending on your availability; you decide whatever is best for you:
Part-Time or Full-Time Hours: We can provide you with a variety of arrangements for part-time or full-time hours, some of which may be guaranteed for predetermined periods (as per an agreed schedule)
Normally, the job is done in the morning (between 4 am and 10 am) and the evening (roughly between 4 pm and 10 pm), but there is some flexibility available depending on the weather.
Whichever manner you choose to join us, you will ensure the safety and connectivity of the people who live in our communities and offer them an essential emergency service.
Your contribution will help keep drivers and pedestrians safe while allowing individuals to go to work, school, important medical appointments, and emergencies.
The North Yorkshire Winter Maintenance LGV / HGV Drivers are, in many respects, a fourth emergency service, and we play a crucial role in the success of the other three!
All our employees must come from diverse backgrounds to build a dynamic and inclusive workplace at NY Highways.
Who you are as a worker for NY Highways matters to us.
Let’s get to know one another.
Please look at what we have to offer if you share our values, are proud of a job well done, take satisfaction in working well with others, and are driven to improve things.
What does being a Winter Maintenance HGV/LGV Driver involve?
In summary, you will operate gritting vehicles including the use of snowplows during adverse conditions including loading, driving, and cleaning the vehicles.
Skills and Experience Required
- You must possess both a CPC and an LGV (commonly referred to as an HGV) driving license of class C or above (Driver Certificate of Professional Competence)
- It would be advantageous but not necessary if you also have;
- City and Guilds Winter 6159 qualification for operating and driving gritters:
- A driver’s digital license
- If you do not already possess the Winter 6159 certification, you must be ready to complete these courses of study in the early autumn of 2022.
- We can provide you with the initial digicard if you don’t already have one
- Ability to operate small plant machinery, familiarity with a loader and bucket attachment, and your health and safety are our top priorities; manual handling and emergency first aid skills are also advantageous.
- We will provide assistance, development, and training to ensure that LGV drivers are prepared and confident to fulfill the task.
Plus Standby Payment
The standby payment for the weekday morning rota we now run is £60.
We also run an evening and weekend rota on alternate weeks; the salary is £156 for the entire week.
When on “Standby” duty, you must be ready for the call-out at any time during the predetermined time.
Whether you are called out or not while on “Standby,” you will always get paid.
- Company pension
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Employee discount
- Sick pay
- Store discount
- Day shift
- Night shift